I've been working and traveling so much that when I get some free time I'm like, "What helps me relax? Oh yeah, putting weird stuff on my face and maybe some A$AP Rock too." Sounds like a plan. It's a good plan, plus some pineapple maintenance and probiotics and I'm set. Mmmm and yoga. I've needed yoga now more than ever. It's these times that make me extra glad that all of this stuff is available to me. I'm glad someone took the time to invent it so I can do it in my free time, when I feel like a bit of a spaz. Also tight hips and shoulders from too much driving are something I have seriously, seriously forgotten about.
This is a two-step face mask. The first step helps to clean out pores and the second helps to tighten and close them. It's perfect, really. I loved this because the clay can leave skin a little dry and exposed. Some people break out after using clay masks even when used with something more astringent like vinegar to mix it with. It's not the worst thing. It's a little mini skin detox, but it can be a pain to deal with afterwards. I'm not saying the second step will prevent this inconvenience entirely but it does help. I've been doing egg white masks since I was a kid and they really do close up your pores well. Mixed with the clarifying lemon juice which is full of antioxidants should leave skin looking refreshed. Like I said the clay can draw things out of your skin, but it also hydrates with minerals and electrolytes to re-balance skin. I especially like clay in the winter months. I sometimes just put a little in the bath. I think of it like Epsom salts which also have magnesium—which is dubbed the relaxation mineral—and other minerals to restore balance.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1/2 teaspoon of bentonite clay - I used this Redmond kind
- Juice from half a lemon - roughly a tablespoon
- One egg white
- Mix lemon juice and egg white together.
- Take about half of the egg white/lemon mix and add in the clay.
- Mix and apply to your face for 20 minutes. It'll get really tight, but it's pulling out the impurities from your skin.
- Rinse off well with warm water and a washcloth.
- On dry skin apply just the lemon juice with the egg white that's left over. These two act as more of a refining, brightening, and tightening mask. So you'll get the stuff out of your skin with the first mask and tighten and refine with the second.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water to keep pores closed.