This mask is so, so effective. It's hard to believe you can make it with such simple ingredients and in just a few minutes. I really can't say enough good things about this mask. It's my favorite thing for tired looking skin. It's great for brightening skin and works great around the eyes (just make sure to keep it out of your eyes). It also leaves skin soft, exfoliated and looking fresh.
So, you may have guessed that the milk will curdle when added with the lemon. It will, it definitely will, but it turns out the curdling process encourages the production of alpha-hydroxy acids, which will exfoliate and brighten skin. This works a bit differently than traditional granular exfoliants. It works as a chemical exfoliant, which over all I prefer, especially on my face. I like to use this mixture on my face, neck and chest, but if you've been enjoying the bright June sun, go ahead and spread it where ever you skin needs a little extra love.
Here's what you'll need:
- 2 Tablespoons of 1/2 & 1/2
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice - approximately the amount from a large lemon
- Mix the two ingredients together
- Let them sit for 2-3 hours, do not put the mixture in the fridge. It interferes with the reaction that creates the alpha hydroxy acids.
- Do a patch test on your inner arm. Apply a small amount to your inner wrist area, leave on for 10 minutes and wipe clean.
- Apply to face, neck and chest. Avoid any open cuts or sensitive areas. Leave on for 15-20 minutes and wipe clean with a damp washcloth.
Stay out of the sun immediately after using this mask. Your skin will be a bit more sensitive than usual.