Not gonna lie, I ended up taking this whole batch in the bathtub with me and making a big mud bath style mess. Worth it. How I actually intended to use it, and did end up using it was, as a face mask and scrub. The hibiscus tea is what makes it a super mild scrub. This mask has two types of toners in it, if you include the aloe as a toner—if you haven't used aloe as toner, you might want to try it. It's getting pretty popular. As seen here: The Body Shop, the ever popular Mario Badescu, and this DIY from Pins and Procrastination
This mousse-y looking mask is actually made with red clay and aloe to hydrate instead of water, because why not? Plus the enzymes in aloe vera are pretty amazing, meaning it detoxifies while also hydrating. Thayer's Rose Toner, also has aloe vera in it, but it's primarily made of witch hazel which is good for acne and overall redness. Clay is clay, I mean all the clays are detoxifying, and pull out toxins and dirt in the pores, but red clay is known to be even more absorbent. For more sensitive skin, green clay is recommended. My skin is always a little bit pink after a clay mask, but I noticed a bit extra this time. Nothing too too noteworthy, but if your skin is very sensitive maybe opt for the green. Hibiscus tea is high in antioxidant content, can help rejuvenate skin, and is great for circulation, which could account for my overall redness after taking this mask off. One big thing to note is that I typically don't do any clay masks right before going out because it can make skin a little bit sensitive and it's better not put on makeup right after. So, try this mask on a night in.
- Add hibiscus tea to witch hazel and let the hibiscus steep for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix hibiscus in with clay until fully distributed.
- Add in aloe vera juice slowly, until the whole mix becomes fluffy and spreadable.
- Apply to clean skin, exfoliating first is a good idea.
- For a mask: Apply to skin and leave on for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and washcloth, tone, and moisturize.
- For a scrub: Start with clean skin and take a dime sizes amount and scrub in circular motions to cleanse, exfoliate, and detoxify.
- Rinse with warm water and washcloth, tone, and moisturize