I almost hesitate to make simple syrup because I know it won't last a week. I don't really drink normal soda very often, but when I do it's always kind of harsh. Sorry soda. And it's not even customizable. What's that about? If you haven't made simple syrup or homemade soda before, your life is about to change.
I should also mention this whole week will basically be dedicated to all the stuff you can make out of grapefruit and the rind. I just have so many around. I don't have a choice. It's nature's fault. I'm determined to make something out of all of the parts of the fruit. I was kind of upset about not making an Earth Day post, but then I realized, here at The Free Spirited, pretty much every day is Earth Day. And proud of it.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 cup of sugar
- Juice from one large grapefruit about 3/4 cup
- Sparkling mineral water
- In a medium sauce pan mix sugar and grapefruit juice.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the mix thickens and all the sugar dissolves.
- Set the syrup aside to cool.
- In a glass add ice and about a cup of sparkling water.
- Add 2-4 tablespoons of syrup and stir well.