Hey there, I was researching ways to make infused oils. There are a few different ways, all of which involve heat. One is in the crockpot which looks pretty cool. Another is stovetop, seems the most convenient. The third is the most time consuming, so naturally that's the route I took. One caution you should read is if you're using garlic there's this bacteria, well, you can just read all about it here.
So, the method I used involves sunshine and a little bit of vinegar which is easy to strain out later to help infuse the herbs into the oil. The vinegar is easy to separate out later, because it sinks to the bottom. To infuse the oil I used this homegrown rosemary and some lavender I picked from a neighbor. This jar is from some vanilla beans I used up. It's the perfect size (1 cup) to infuse some oil when you don't need a whole bunch.
- Make sure your herbs are washed, cleaned, and completely dry. Any moisture will contribute to bacterial growth.
- Put the herbs you chose into the jar and cover with oil.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of oil.
- Place in a sunny window to infuse for 2 weeks.
- Shake the jar daily.
- You can strain the herbs out with a tea strainer. The vinegar settles at the bottom of the jar, so just leave the bit of vinegar in and discard.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 months