I put off learning to make my own almond milk for a long time because I didn't have any cheesecloth. You know where you get cheesecloth? Any grocery store, seriously. I found mine on sale for 99 cents. I don't know what I'm thinking sometimes. If you haven't ventured into making your own almond milk, it's really simple but a bit time consuming because the almonds need to soak over night. I can tell you homemade is so much better.
The ingredients blend so well in this mix, although the almond is a bit muted by the other flavors. It really tastes more like a shake than milk.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 cup of almonds - soaked overnight or at least 8 hours
- 1/2 cup of strawberries
- 2 pitted dates
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of water
- Mason jar or beverage container
- rubberband - optional
- After your almonds have soaked overnight strain them and discard fluid.
- Place almonds, strawberries, dates, vanilla and water in blender and blend until smooth.
- Cover the mouth of your mason jar with the cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band.
- Strain the blended ingredients through the cheesecloth about half a cup at a time. Make sure to squeeze out extra liquid.
- Clean cheesecloth between straining.
- Continue until the whole mixture has been strained through the cheesecloth.
The result is the perfect summertime drink, naturally sweet with no refined sugar added. Enjoy!